Day Four of the 2012 NAMM Show Features ‘Best In Show’ Products, a Panel from ‘The Wrecking Crew,’ Ongoing Educational Sessions
—The fourth day of the 2012 NAMM Show featured the “Best In Show—This Year’s Hottest Products” at the morning’s Breakfast Session. Frank Alkyer, publisher of Music Inc. and a panel of experts announced the recipients in the following categories:
Best In Show
- P-Bone, Conn-Selmer, Booth #4600
- NAMM's B2B Interest Group, www.namm.org/initiatives/b2b
- Atlas Hardware, Ludwig, Booth #4224
- StageScape M20D Mixer, Line 6, Booth #210D
- DL-1608 Digital Mixer, Mackie, Booth 209AB
- MyDentity Drums, Mapex, Booth #3220
Best Accessory or Add-On
- Teach Yourself Pro Audio Series, Alfred Publishing, Booth #4818
- Todd Sucherman's Method & Mechanics II DVD, Hal Leonard, Booth #4618
- TS-100 Series, Ultimate Support, Booth #6690
- Apex Keyboard Stands, Ultimate Support, Booth #6690
- Pitch Clips, Korg, Booth #6440
- Cheat Sheets, Hal Leonard, Booth #4618
- OnStage Stands iPad Mount, The Music People, Booth #5940
Gotta Stock It
- THR AmplifiersYamaha Booth #100 Marriott
- Quick Release Hi-Hat Clutch Gibraltar Booth #5720
- XW-P1 and XW-G1 Synthesizers Casio Booth #5900
- THR AmplifiersYamaha Booth #100 Marriott
- Axient Wireless System Shure Booth #6541
- American Stage Instrument Cables Planet Waves Booth #4834
Companies To Watch
- Line 6, Booth #210D
- MyDentity Drums, Mapex Booth #3220
- Fishman, Booth #4158
- Charvel Guitars, Booth #5720
- Behringer, Booth #6766
- Casio, Booth #5900
Also during the breakfast session, NAMM presented its Wanna Play? Award to eight companies from outside of the music products industry, which use music products in their television ads, helping to inspire people to make music.
The recipients of the 2011 Wanna Play? Awards are:
- SunTrust Bank for its Rock Stars In the Financial Industry print ad
- freecreditscore.com for its Credit Fail TV ad
- Cheetos for its Piano TV ad
- Chase for its Ultimate Rewards print ad
- • Target for its Music Teacher TV ad
- Heineken for its The Entrance TV ad
- Rocksmith for its Rocksmith Launch TV ad
- Chevy for its Shine TV ad
Mark Hriciga, vice president of advertising and user experience at Experian Consumer Direct, was at the presentation to accept the award on behalf of freecreditscore.com and its TV ad called “Credit Fail.” And singer, songwriter and guitarist Chelsea Williams was also at the presentation to accept the Wanna Play? award on behalf of Chevy for its “Shine” TV ad, in which she appeared.
The Wanna Play? Awards are an extension of NAMM’s Wanna Play? campaign, a public awareness initiative designed to inspire people of all ages to become active music makers, from taking lessons to purchasing their first instrument or software. NAMM recognizes major companies that have encouraged people to pursue—or perhaps revisit—their passion for playing an instrument through their promotion of products or initiatives.
The Hands On Training (H.O.T.) Zone offered a chance for attendees to participate in the reunion of the Wrecking Crew, a group of studio musicians in Los Angeles in the 1960s who played on hits for the Beach Boys, Frank Sinatra, Nancy Sinatra, Sonny and Cher, Jan & Dean, The Monkees, Gary Lewis and the Playboys, Mamas and Papas, Tijuana Brass, Ricky Nelson, Johnny Rivers and were Phil Spector's Wall of Sound. Attendees also saw a film screening of the new movie featuring the story of the Wrecking Crew.
Other H.O.T. Zone sessions included “The Evolution of DJ Technology,” “Live Miking with Professionals,” and “Sticks ‘n’ Skins—The Sessions.”
The NAMM Foundation continued its “Music Education Days,” a program that provides an opportunity for music educators to interact with each other and music industry professionals to address mutual concerns about access to music education for all children. Today’s program included a welcome breakfast featuring the world-renowned Canadian Brass Quintet, a session called “Music Makes the Difference,” a live interview with composer legend Sammy Nestico, and a Canadian Brass Ensemble Clinic.
The NAMM University sessions continued at the IDEA Center on the show floor, and included presentations on “Create Your Own Woodstock—In Your Store,” “Meet the Press: How to Prepare for Your Interview,” How to Measure Your Social Media Results in Only 10 Minutes!” and the “Best Tools for Schools Awards,” presented by Symphony Publishing Group with Rick Kessel, publisher of School Band and Orchestra Magazine, as the moderator.
Entertainment included music by the Mariachi Divas on the Convention Center Lobby, and musicians and non-musicians were encouraged to join the Ukulele Circle outside the convention center.
The NAMM Show returns to Anaheim next year Jan. 24 to 27, 2013.
Director of Public Relations & Social Media | Phone: 760.438.8007