Music Education Days
Music Education Days at the 2013 NAMM Show
The National Association of Music Merchants (NAMM) invited music educators and school administrators from across the country to Anaheim, Calif. to experience NAMM's "Music Education Days." The sixth annual event was held Saturday and Sunday, January 26-27 at the 2013 NAMM Show. The NAMM Foundation hosted over 570 music educators and school administrators providing access to NAMM's premier industry-only music product trade show, where they had an opportunity to preview the latest instruments, products and tools relevant to today's music classrooms.
"Now in its sixth year, Music Education Days continues to celebrate and support music educators in their very important role of inspiring children to learn to play music," said Mary Luehrsen, executive director of the NAMM Foundation. "This event brings together music education professionals to network with the industry and each other, but it also offers tools to create even better music programs in their districts."
Feedback from attendees:
"MED provided a wealth of knowledge, ideas and direction. The activities and music products inspire me to inspire others. No matter what you know, there's always more to learn!"
"It reminds me of the important work I do with young children involving choral work. It's not just for the beauty and joy of it but it lays a foundation for children when they choose to transition to an instrument."
"These events keep me aware of the changes and innovations in product. It does expand my music education goals by impacting my curriculum in a very positive way."
"I was able to bring my knowledge that I developed while at the NAMM show to my school site. In which has given my Principal a better insight of what can be accomplished through music in the classroom."
"I prefer to make contact with the manufacturer directly before going through a distributor when deciding what musical instrument and program I'm going to try to bring to my classroom. NAMM allows me to do just that."
"I looked at items normally I would not have and was surprised how well the fix would be. I am now using them in my lessons."
"When talking to administrators about the future of my program, having some of the items in mind that I saw on the floor will help me project how my program can improve, especially as technology is changing so quickly. Staying abreast of the changes companies have made in their products or new products and having set aside this time to focus on just this will help me plan my budget goals for next year. Thanks for the opportunity. I will be back next year."
2013 Music Education Days Schedule
Saturday, January 26
- Music Education Days Welcome Reception, Breakfast and Performance Featuring Mariachi Sol de Mexico. Featuring a welcome from NAMM's President / CEO, Joe Lamond and NAMM Foundation's Executive Director, Mary Luehrsen, followed by captivating interviews with music education trend-setters and national program leaders.
- Break-Out "Broadening Your Base: From Zero to Mariachi!"
- Break-Out "The Perfect Time For Guitar Programs in Our Schools"
- The Crane Institute for Music Business Presents the Sandy Feldstein Industry Roundtable "How To Get a Job in the Music Industry Part 2: Developing Your Entrepreneurial Spirit"
Sunday, January 27
- Music Education Days Welcome Reception, Breakfast and Performance Featuring Ukulele Virtuoso James Hill and Bassist Bakithi Kumalo
- Keynote by Robert Gupta, Los Angeles Philharmonic violinist and TED Talk Fellow
- Break-Out "Using Technology to Enhance Your Music Classroom"
- Break-Out "TIPS FOR SUCCESS: Secrets Revealed from Leading Instrumental Music Educators to Make Your Job Easier"
- 2013 Best Tools For Schools Awards