The Coalition on Coalitions (CoCs) supports NAMM members and their networks working on state-level music and arts education advocacy efforts. The Illinois network provides tactics, resources and best practices to move and improve state-level policies, funding and advocacy for music and arts education.
March 19, 2019. ILMEA’s Music Education Day at the Capitol in Springfield, Illinois
Policy asks for the 2019 event will include requesting support for a percentage weight to be added to the ESSA Fine Arts Indicator that is part of the approved Illinois ESSA plan. Currently set at 0%, the Chair of the State Board of Education has promised to add weight by the 2020 school year. We would like to see that timeline moved up to allow weight to be added as soon as the indicator itself is approved. ILMEA is also beginning preliminary work to design a fine arts graduation requirement for Illinois. Groundwork for this large legislative ask will be done at the 2019 MEDAC. For more information about ILMEA Music Education Day at the Capitol, please contact ILMEA Executive Director, Darcy Nendza at firstname.lastname@example.org, phone (708) 479-4000
NAMM Member Contacts
George Quinlan Jr.
Quinlan @ Fabish Music Co.
State Music & Arts Organizations
Coalition on Coalitions NAMM Member Resources
Coalition on Coalitions Dashboard, The CoCs dashboard on NAMM.org, serves as a nexus of information regarding specific state-focused music education advocacy efforts. The dashboard features a thumbnail summary of action alerts, status updates, NAMM Member contacts, and state-specific resources for active state coalitions in various stages of network.
Advocacy and Issue Training, Live and recorded webinars are available to connect, assist and advise NAMM members about current opportunities and ongoing state-specific efforts.
State Advocacy Opportunities, Regularly updated information regarding needed state-advocacy action. As an example: State education associations are holding “listening tours” across the U.S. in town hall-style meetings and/or they are accepting input by email or via web-based surveys. Action is needed now to ensure that every student in your state benefits from new opportunities in music education.
State Coalition Bootcamp at The 2017 NAMM Show, This half-day workshop was held on Tuesday January 17 and provided state coalition teams with hands-on advocacy training. Listen to audio files here:
- State Level Advocacy: What’s Happening and What’s Next. Jeff Poulin, Americans for the Arts. Audio recording.
- ESSA Update. Lynn Tuttle, NAfME. Audio Recording. Audio Recording.
- Advocacy at the Grassroots. Laurie Schell, Music Makes Us Nashville. Audio Recording.
Coalition on Coalitions Forum at The 2017 NAMM Show, This meeting was held on Friday, January 20 and provided an overview of current policy opportunities and updates on state activity featuring updates from NAMM Member state coalition leaders. Listen to audio files here:
- AFTA Resources and How to Advance Arts-friendly Policies in Education. Jeff Poulin, Americans for the Arts. Audio Recording.
- Federal Education Policy and ESSA. Lynn Tuttle, NAfME. Audio Recording.
- Policy Work at the Local Level. Laurie Schell, Music Makes Us Nashville. Audio Recording.
- Arts Education Partnership: Tools and Resources . Jane Best, Arts Education Partnership. Audio Recording.
Coalition on Coalitions at 2017 Summer NAMM, This meeting was held on Friday, July 14 and featured a panel discussion, national updates, and state team reports. Listen to audio files here:
- Chapter 1: Introduction by Mary Luehrsen
- Chapter 2: Advocacy in Action by Jeff Poulin
- Chapter 3: Policy Update by Michael Blakeslee
- Chapter 4: State Coalition Reports and Determinations