The Coalition on Coalitions (CoCs) supports NAMM members and their networks working on state-level music and arts education advocacy efforts. The Michigan network provides tactics, resources and best practices to move and improve state-level policies, funding, and advocacy for music and arts education.
1. The Michigan Department of Education is inviting feedback from parents and caregivers of school-aged children on Michigan’s new, online “school transparency dashboard.” The dashboard is designed to show the performance of every public school in Michigan, including public school academies (charter schools).
The new dashboard is designed especially for parents and other caregivers. It will report on more than 20 different factors—or measures—that parents and other stakeholders have said are important to them when evaluating the quality of a school. The survey allows participants to view components of the new dashboard, then answer questions about the way information is presented, the usefulness of certain features, and unique interests.
- Survey details:
- You can complete the survey on any computer, tablet, or mobile device.
- The survey should take no more than 15 minutes to complete.
- All answers will be confidential.
- The survey must be completed by November 15, 2017.
The dashboard is currently under development by the Michigan Department of Education (MDE). It is expected to be made available to the public by early 2018.
3. Distribute NAMM Advocacy brochures: Striking a Chord, ESSA 3Rs, and Why Learn to Play to parents, teachers, and other stakeholder networks in Michigan. Contact Jessica Cortez to request supplies.
4. Reference: NAfME Possible State-Level Requests.
Michigan’s ESSA plan was approved by the US Dept. of Education last November and includes the fine arts in the school accountability system.
The Michigan Department of Education (MDE) has just released the Parent Dashboard for School Transparency: www.mischooldata/parentdashboard. This dashboard lets parents search by school and learn how they are performing in a number of areas, compared to state averages and similar demographics. Data related to the arts is not yet included in this dashboard.
At a recent stakeholders meeting MDE outlined the index (0-100) by which school performance is measured. Arts education makes up a portion of a 14 percent portion which contributes to this scoring index.
Overall MDE focus related to ESSA remains in areas of equity, low-performing sub-groups, and other academic areas. This is fine and dandy but where does music fit in, since it can benefit these groups enormously?!
NAMM Member Contact
State Music & Arts Organizations
Coalition on Coalitions NAMM Member Resources
Coalition on Coalitions Dashboard, The CoCs dashboard on NAMM.org, serves as a nexus of information regarding specific state-focused music education advocacy efforts. The dashboard features a thumbnail summary of action alerts, status updates, NAMM Member contacts, and state-specific resources for active state coalitions in various stages of network.
Advocacy and Issue Training, Live and recorded webinars are available to connect, assist and advise NAMM members about current opportunities and ongoing state-specific efforts.
State Advocacy Opportunities, Regularly updated information regarding needed state-advocacy action. As an example: State education associations are holding “listening tours” across the U.S. in town hall-style meetings and/or they are accepting input by email or via web-based surveys. Action is needed now to ensure that every student in your state benefits from new opportunities in music education.
State Coalition Bootcamp at The 2017 NAMM Show, This half-day workshop was held on Tuesday January 17 and provided state coalition teams with hands-on advocacy training. Listen to audio files here:
- State Level Advocacy: What’s Happening and What’s Next. Jeff Poulin, Americans for the Arts. Audio recording.
- ESSA Update. Lynn Tuttle, NAfME. Audio Recording. Audio Recording.
- Advocacy at the Grassroots. Laurie Schell, Music Makes Us Nashville. Audio Recording.
Coalition on Coalitions Forum at The 2017 NAMM Show, This meeting was held on Friday, January 20 and provided an overview of current policy opportunities and updates on state activity featuring updates from NAMM Member state coalition leaders. Listen to audio files here:
- AFTA Resources and How to Advance Arts-friendly Policies in Education. Jeff Poulin, Americans for the Arts. Audio Recording.
- Federal Education Policy and ESSA. Lynn Tuttle, NAfME. Audio Recording.
- Policy Work at the Local Level. Laurie Schell, Music Makes Us Nashville. Audio Recording.
- Arts Education Partnership: Tools and Resources . Jane Best, Arts Education Partnership. Audio Recording.
Coalition on Coalitions at 2017 Summer NAMM, This meeting was held on Friday, July 14 and featured a panel discussion, national updates, and state team reports. Listen to audio files here:
- Chapter 1: Introduction by Mary Luehrsen
- Chapter 2: Advocacy in Action by Jeff Poulin
- Chapter 3: Policy Update by Michael Blakeslee
- Chapter 4: State Coalition Reports and Determinations
Coalition on Coalitions Forum at The 2018 NAMM Show, This meeting will be held on Friday January 26 and will provide an overview of current policy opportunities and updates on state activity featuring updates from NAMM Member state coalition leaders. Open to all NAMM Show attendees. RSVP link coming soon.
Americans for the Arts, Michigan