The Coalition on Coalitions (CoCs) supports NAMM members and their networks working on state-level music and arts education advocacy efforts. The Minnesota network provides tactics, resources and best practices to move and improve state-level policies, funding and advocacy for music and arts education.
The Creative Minnesota Project is managed by Minnesota Citizens for the Arts. The project provides data about the arts in Minnesota (collected to date), including economic impact of nonprofit arts and culture organizations. Soon to be added: Creative Minnesota 2017 report which will show economic impact of all Minnesota’s creative workers, public opinion polling about the arts, and other useful data.
NAMM Member Contact
State Music & Arts Organizations
Coalition on Coalitions NAMM Member Resources
Coalition on Coalitions Dashboard, The CoCs dashboard on NAMM.org, serves as a nexus of information regarding specific state-focused music education advocacy efforts. The dashboard features a thumbnail summary of action alerts, status updates, NAMM Member contacts, and state-specific resources for active state coalitions in various stages of network.
Advocacy and Issue Training, Live and recorded webinars are available to connect, assist and advise NAMM members about current opportunities and ongoing state-specific efforts.
State Advocacy Opportunities, Regularly updated information regarding needed state-advocacy action. As an example: State education associations are holding “listening tours” across the U.S. in town hall-style meetings and/or they are accepting input by email or via web-based surveys. Action is needed now to ensure that every student in your state benefits from new opportunities in music education.
State Coalition Bootcamp at The 2017 NAMM Show, This half-day workshop was held on Tuesday January 17 and provided state coalition teams with hands-on advocacy training. Listen to audio files here:
- State Level Advocacy: What’s Happening and What’s Next. Jeff Poulin, Americans for the Arts. Audio recording.
- ESSA Update. Lynn Tuttle, NAfME. Audio Recording. Audio Recording.
- Advocacy at the Grassroots. Laurie Schell, Music Makes Us Nashville. Audio Recording.
Coalition on Coalitions Forum at The 2017 NAMM Show, This meeting was held on Friday, January 20 and provided an overview of current policy opportunities and updates on state activity featuring updates from NAMM Member state coalition leaders. Listen to audio files here:
- AFTA Resources and How to Advance Arts-friendly Policies in Education. Jeff Poulin, Americans for the Arts. Audio Recording.
- Federal Education Policy and ESSA. Lynn Tuttle, NAfME. Audio Recording.
- Policy Work at the Local Level. Laurie Schell, Music Makes Us Nashville. Audio Recording.
- Arts Education Partnership: Tools and Resources . Jane Best, Arts Education Partnership. Audio Recording.
Coalition on Coalitions at 2017 Summer NAMM, This meeting was held on Friday, July 14 and featured a panel discussion, national updates, and state team reports. Listen to audio files here:
- Chapter 1: Introduction by Mary Luehrsen
- Chapter 2: Advocacy in Action by Jeff Poulin
- Chapter 3: Policy Update by Michael Blakeslee
- Chapter 4: State Coalition Reports and Determinations
Coalition on Coalitions Forum at The 2018 NAMM Show, This meeting will be held on Friday January 26 and will provide an overview of current policy opportunities and updates on state activity featuring updates from NAMM Member state coalition leaders. Open to all NAMM Show attendees. RSVP link coming soon.