2015 Post Show Report
World Class Buying Power
2015 Summer NAMM was the largest in years. With a 3 percent increase in buyer attendance compared to 2014 and a growing international audience, exhibitors connected with more of the world’s major decision-makers commanding billions in purchasing power. 494 exhibitors had the chance to meet with a quality collection of over 900 buying companies, an opportunity that would take months of time and a lot of travel, but accomplished within three business-focused days at Summer NAMM.
More Buying Businesses
In 2015, exhibitors were able to get face time with buyers from more business types.
Top 100 Dealers
Exhibitors had the opportunity to meet with 91 percent of NAMM’s Top 100 Dealers.
90 percent of NAMM buyers personally authorize, or are directly involved with product purchasing.
The estimated purchasing power of registered global buying companies totaled in excess of $4.9 billion in annual sales.
“I come here because I’m hoping to find that next guy, that next Gibson, that next Fender, that next JBL, Electro-Voice. Somebody who’s got a 10x10 booth but with a great idea. I always want to find that little niche guy that may one day be something, and I’ll be able to say, ‘I found him.’ Plus, I’ve got a lot of friends here. I get to see them twice a year sometimes and this is one of the places.”
Sammy Ash • Sam Ash Music Corporation
New York, N.Y.
2015 Summer NAMM at a Glance
At this year’s show, buyers were able to review more pro audio products, an increase of 23 percent over 2014. The growing pro audio focus has helped the event attract more purchase decision-makers representing a variety of major global companies and venues, including Sweetwater, Guitar Center, Sam Ash, Alto Music, Music Fulfillment Services, B&H Photo, Amazon, Galactic Music (Australia), Heer Music (Switzerland), Brother Industries (Japan), Tecno Music (Mexico) and Kit Chareon Musical (Thailand).
Buyers from local studios, stages and houses of worship, as well as professionals involved in stage production, pro sound, audio, lighting and A/V also attended to check out the latest products and take advantage of new programs, including TEC Tracks and A3E sessions.
“Summer NAMM is a lot bigger and better this year. I’m in the pro audio part of our business, so it’s great to see more pro audio exhibitors. I’m very pleased with what’s happening at the show.”
Ray Arsenault • Corner Music
Acoustics are King of the Guitar Market
A walk through Music City Center during this week’s National Association of Music Merchants conference highlighted a critical industry trend: In the era of electronic music, the acoustic guitar is gaining in popularity. In 2014, acoustic guitars saw a 10 percent increase in sales and a 12.4 percent gain in retail value, according to the NAMM Global Report.
Reade Pickert •The Tennessean
Leading media across print, radio, TV and digital channels attended Summer NAMM in droves. Exhibitors and events received global coverage through media groups including:
- The Tennessean
- Rolling Stone
- The Associated Press article resulting in 176 individual placements
- AOL’s The Boot
- Nashville Scene
- Guitar World
- CBS news piece syndicated 22 times in markets across the U.S.
- WZTV-TV (Fox Nashville)
- WSMV-TV (NBC Nashville)
- WKRN-TV (ABC Nashville)
NAMM Show Highlights
NAMM’s free educational opportunities helped retailers expand their share of the market with ideas and strategies to kick off the year:
- Retail Boot Camp One-day intensive training
- NAMM U Breakfast Sessions Big names, big picture strategy
- NAMM Idea Center Tactics and tips from the industry’s best
- TEC Tracks Sessions for sound, studio and stage pros
Live performances and special features included:
- The NAMM Acoustic Nation Stage featured live music all day, including Dustin Lynch, mash-up queen Louisa Wendorff, Tony Lucca of The Voice fame, Sabrina Lentini and more.
- The American Eagle Awards honored Charley Pride, Kris Kristofferson, Jim Lauderdale, Jim Halsey and Sherman Halsey, and featured performances by Rosanne Cash, Jim Lauderdale, The Oak Ridge Boys and Jack Ingram.
- Music Industry Day opened the show to hundreds of artists and music enthusiasts walking the floor to check out the newest products and gear.
NAMM's Top 100 Dealer Awards
NAMM congratulates the nominees and winners of the 2015 Top 100 Dealer Awards, and is proud to honor the industry’s best, brightest and most proactive music retailers:
- Recognition of Musical Innovations as the 2015 Dealer of the Year
- Presentation of seven “Best of” category awards to Vintage King Audio, Monster Music, Sam Ash Music, ABC Music Store & Academy, Spicer’s Music, Arthur’s Music Store and Musical Innovations
Issues and Advocacy Sessions
The show featured forums and events on regulatory issues, advocacy strategies and other unique events:
- SupportMusic Coalition on Coalitions
- Import-Export Forum
- Intellectual Property, Trademark and Patent Forums and Roundtables
- Recreational Music Making Forum
- Leadership in Music Symposium Songwriter Fair Trade Panel