retail boot camp
Wednesday, July 12, 2017 • 8:30 am – 4 pm • Nashville Music City Center, Level 1
• 9 am–4 pm: Retail Boot Camp—Both Tracks (Lunch served at noon)
TRACK 1: RETAIL BOOT CAMP—SALES & MARKETING
- Get customers to see your store differently in the first 7 seconds of entering your space.
- Create sales and traffic increases using low-cost marketing and advertising ideas.
- Target and attract the most profitable customers using specific marketing tools.
- Increase customer loyalty with simple, low-cost techniques.
- Boost your marketing reach without increasing your budget.
- Build a stronger social media presence without wasting all your time—or your employees’ time.
- Generate free publicity opportunities that get your store in the media.
And most of all, leave with a list of action-oriented tactics and suggestions that you can implement right away when returning to your store.
I attended Retail Boot Camp at The NAMM Show, and 56 pages later, I became a force to be reckoned with and have implemented so many of the ideas into our shop.
TRACK 2: RETAIL BOOT CAMP—FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT
If you haven’t been to the all-day financial Boot Camp, don’t miss this opportunity! Join Alan Friedman, CPA, and Daniel Jobe for the only full-day financial training for music retailers at Summer NAMM.
This back-office segment of Retail Boot Camp covers the most critical financial components of running a music retail business. Presented by Friedman and Jobe of the CPA firm Friedman, Kannenberg & Co., the Financial Management track isn’t just for store owners. It’s for any retail staff or retail advisers who want to learn more about the financial challenges facing music retailers or all types and sizes. Topics include:
- Financial Issues: How to identify and fix the ones happening in your business
- Purchasing Inventory: How to buy the right mix and quantity of musical products and gear
- Financial Statements: How to generate, interpret and act upon them
- Financing: How to properly finance your inventory and rental pool purchases
- Rental Pools: How to properly account for and tax rental programs
- Employee Compensation: How to establish an effective comp plan for all employees
- Worker Status: How to determine the correct worker status (W-2 versus 1099) for your teachers and repair techs
- Succession: How to determine the dollar value of your business and begin the succession planning process
- Managing Inventory: How to manage an entire store’s worth of inventory effectively
Retail Boot Camp registration is free to NAMM members! Here’s how to sign up and make your track selection:
1. If you’ve registered for a NAMM badge and requested more information about Retail Boot Camp on your badge survey, you will receive a follow-up email asking for your track selection.
2. Looking to sign up yourself and your staff? Your company’s authorized contact can log in here. (If you need to check your contact role, visit your profile page.) Next, click on the “Manage Badges” button on the right-hand menu. Then, locate the employee on the registration list and check the box for Retail Boot Camp. Selected employees will receive a follow-up email that they must complete to choose their track and finalize their Retail Boot Camp registration.
3. If you have difficulty signing up or have any questions about Retail Boot Camp, contact NAMM at 760-438-8001, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We [learned] the importance of having a point-of-sale system and now use one to manage our inventory more effectively. Most importantly, we learned how to invest back in our music community through lessons and smart advertising to grow our emerging brand.