retail boot camp
January 24, 2018 · 8:30 am - 4:00 pm
Anaheim Hilton, Levels 2 and 4
Get Ready for Retail Success in 2018!
Join us for Retail Boot Camp, held the day before the start of The NAMM Show Wednesday, January 24, 2018
Featuring two forward-thinking education tracks, Retail Boot Camp covers everything from retail sales and marketing to financial management. It’s the best intensive one-day training for your music retail business and everything you’ll want to know to prep for the new year. Plus, it’s FREE to NAMM members, so bring the entire team—store owners, managers, salespeople, marketers, administration, even your retail advisors.
Whether you’re a seasoned owner or first-time salesperson, you’ll walk away from Retail Boot Camp with practical ideas you can use right away to grow your business in a hyper-competitive retail climate. Get essential training, updates and best practices to apply to your store, right away.
If you have any questions about Retail Boot Camp, contact NAMM at 760-438-8001, or email email@example.com.
8:30 - 9 am: Registration and Coffee
9 am - 4 pm: Sessions (Free lunch at Noon)
Update: Registration is FULL for Track 2: Financial Management
TRACK 1: RETAIL BOOT CAMP—SALES, MARKETING & WEBSITES
Anaheim Hilton, 2nd Floor
SALES, MARKETING & WEBSITES TRACK
Create an Amazing Customer Experience—Right Away
Point blank, customer service sets you apart from other music retail businesses. Join Shep Hyken, customer service and experience expert, New York Times best-selling author and award-winning speaker, for a fast-paced, entertaining and information-packed Retail Boot Camp training session. He’ll share what you and your team can do right away to deliver an experience that will amaze your customers every time.
Online Marketing That Gets Results
In the first part of a two-part presentation, Larry Bailin will offer a masterclass in online marketing for 2018, and beyond. Bailin, an internet marketing pioneer, will reveal the platforms that matter most, the media to buy, what to say, what to do and how to turn buyers into lifelong customers. He’ll also look at what technologies are on the rise and why. Websites, mobile, Google, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat—find out what efforts bring you the most loyal customers, and how to make the most of the ones that matter.
Make Your Website Work for You
Your website can be your greatest asset or your worst nightmare. Here, Larry Bailin will take you on a live and unscripted journey of what works with retail websites and what sends you down the digital rabbit hole. He’ll call up real-world industry examples to show you what to do and, even more importantly, what not to do when trying to attract and sell to buyers online.
I attended Retail Boot Camp at The NAMM Show, and 56 pages of notes later, I became a force to be reckoned with and have implemented so many of the ideas into our shop.
TRACK 2: RETAIL BOOT CAMP—FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT
Anaheim Hilton, 4th Floor
FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT TRACK- Registration FULL!
Celebrating its fourth year at Retail Boot Camp, the financial management track gets a big update for 2018. This year, NAMM members will get training on the two most critical hot topics facing every music retail business today: the always-challenging purchasing and management of inventory and the transition of a music store. This Retail Boot Camp “best-of experience” will be presented by longstanding financial experts Alan Friedman and Daniel Jobe of Friedman, Kannenberg & Co. And they’ll deliver vital financial education using their always-entertaining “Tommy Gunn Music Store” saga.
Inventory Management: Morning Program
The morning’s training will focus on proven best practices in the purchasing and management of music retail inventory. Discover how to buy the right mix and quantity of musical products and gear.
Business Succession: Afternoon Program
The afternoon training will feature a deep dive into business succession, presented for the first time. It will cover:
• The pros and cons of various store transition options
• The effect each option has on cash, control and taxes
• What does and doesn’t add value to your store
• Calculating the dollar amount of what your business is likely worth
• Vital tips for starting the succession-planning process
• Five real-life case studies
We learned the importance of having a point-of-sale system and now use one to manage our inventory more effectively. Most importantly, we learned how to invest back in our music community through lessons and smart advertising to grow our emerging brand.
How to Register
Retail Boot Camp registration is free to NAMM retail members! Here's how to sign up and make your track selection:
1. If you've registered for a NAMM badge and requested more information about Retail Boot camp on your attendee profile, you will receive a follow-up email asking for your track selection. Please select your track to complete your registration.
2. Looking to sign up yourself and your staff? Your company's authorized contact can log in HERE. (If you need to check your contact role, visit your profile page). Next, click on the "Manage Badges" button on the right-hand menu. Then, locate the employee on the registration list and check the box for Retail Boot Camp. Selected employees will receive a follow-up email that they must complete to choose their track and finalize their Retail Boot Camp registration.
3. If you have difficulty signing up of have any questions about Retail Boot Camp, contact NAMM at 760-438-8001, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you're a NAMM exhibitor/commercial member and would like to register for Retail Boot Camp, please email email@example.com.