January 16–19, 2020
GenNext at The NAMM Show
Anaheim Convention Center • Anaheim, CA
It’s Your Life. It’s Your Music. It’s Your Show!
GenNext is a collaboration between The NAMM Foundation and The College Music Society that brings college music students and faculty to The NAMM Show for exclusive programming with access to career and professional development opportunities. Registration and housing to attend The 2020 NAMM Show opens Aug. 28, 2019.
Connect With Your Future
At The NAMM Show, college music students and faculty members have the opportunity to discover new products and innovations from 7000+ brands, learn new skills from 400+ educational sessions and connect with industry leaders at 150+ networking events. GenNext attendees also have access to The College Music Society (CMS) programming curated specifically for students working toward a career in music business. If you are seeking a career in the music products industry, you won't want to miss this opportunity to experience all that The NAMM Show has to offer.
Experience hundreds of free professional education sessions you won't find anywhere else. Explore topics on business development, marketing, websites, best practices, industry secrets and so much more.
College Music Society
CMS will host opportunities for students to explore careers in the music industry; for faculty to network with industry professionals; and for both students and faculty to attend special events catered to the college music crowd.
NAMM U Sessions
These sessions provide relevant and high-value educational programs, including NAMM U Breakfast Sessions, the NAMM Idea Center, TEC Tracks and Retail Innovation Summit.
A premier education and training program for working professionals in live sound, recording and performance audio.
Enjoy a variety of entertainment including prestigious awards, performances and networking events throughout the show.
Events for College Music Students and Faculty
- The Grand Rally for Music Education
- GenNext/The College Music Society Educational Sessions
- GenNext Faculty Mixer
- The NAMM Foundation Celebration for Music Education
- Careers in Music Summit
- NAMM Young Professionals (YP) Special Events
- Music Making Circles: All-industry Drum Circle, Ukulele Circles
Registration and Housing
Learn how to register for a badge and book a hotel room!
Badge and hotel registration for The 2020 NAMM Show opens August 28, 2019 for GenNext attendees.
NAMM President's Innovation Award
Select college music students can earn $750 to attend The NAMM Show.
The NAMM President’s Innovation Award is a one-time $750 stipend given to select college and university music students to attend The NAMM Show in Anaheim, CA in January. Applicants must express a desire to explore career opportunities in music performance and/or music business. Application period begins in early fall and ends in September of every year, and winners are notified in November. Submit questions to email@example.com.
- Supports individuals who are enrolled in college and university music and/or music business programs and are preparing for careers in the music products industry
- Cash awards of $750 are given once a year and one-time-only to selected undergraduate and graduate students to support travel needs and expenses
- Awardees participate in professional development offerings and have access to more than 2,000 exhibits, in addition to concerts, special events and networking sessions
- Must be enrolled for the summer or fall semester in a university-based music business, music education and/or music technology program and prove—with a spring college transcript
- Have an overall 3.0 or higher grade point average
- Applicants must be scheduled to be enrolled full-time in college at the time of The NAMM Show and through the winter/spring semester.
Congratulations to the 2019 Recipients!
Frequently Asked Questions
Common questions asked about the GenNext program
- What are the exhibit hours for The NAMM Show?
Thursday, Jan. 16 10 am – 6 pm
Friday, Jan. 17 10 am – 6 pm
Saturday, Jan. 18 10 am – 6 pm
Sunday, Jan. 19 10 am – 5 pm
- Can anyone attend The NAMM Foundation events at The NAMM Show?
The NAMM Foundation hosts events specifically for general attendees such as college students majoring in music (GenNext), music educators/school administrators (Music Education Days), and NAMM Foundation partners/nonprofit organizations; anyone with a badge is welcome to attend NAMM Foundation events.
- If I register and attend The NAMM Show as college student, or faculty does my badge allow me access to the show floor at the Anaheim Convention Center?
Yes. Your badge allows you access to the show floor as well as any events at the Anaheim Hilton, during show hours.
- I noticed that my badge allows only “limited access” to the trade show. What does “limited access” mean?
Your badge allows access to the trade show exhibits all hours, and all days. “Limited access,” means that your badge does not give you access to the exhibit hall before or after show hours.
- Where can I view information and events for the GenNext program?
View info and events for GenNext on this page in the fall.
- Where do I pick up my badge onsite?
Badges may be picked up at one of these Badge Will Call locations:
- ACC, Arena
- ACC, Back of Hall B/C (Exhibitors only)
- ACC, Hall E Ticket Office
- ACC, Car Park 1
- ACC, Transit Plaza
- Marriott, Outdoor Tent
- Marriott, Platinum Desks
- Hilton, Lower Level, Tour Lounge
- May I bring a guest?
Your badge allows NAMM Show access for you only and badges are NOT transferable as they are checked with a government issued ID (passport, driver’s license) at the entrance to The NAMM Show exhibit halls. In addition, all non-member attendees must be 18 years of age or older.
- What should I bring with me?
You should bring the following with you to The NAMM Show: comfortable shoes, as there are literally “miles” of exhibits; a printed copy of your emailed badge confirmation; and photo identification – this will be required at every entrance.
Note: Rolling luggage/handcarts, personal music instruments and instrument accessories are prohibited at The NAMM Show. Bag check is available at some hotels, but not in the ACC.
- Can I purchase 'demo' instruments from exhibitors?
No. The NAMM Show is a trade-only show held to promote the exchange of information between wholesale buyers and sellers. Retail selling on the show floor is strictly prohibited. While visiting exhibits we ask that you remain aware of the business being conducted between exhibitors (red badges) and buyers (blue badges) and yield accordingly.
- What airport should I fly into?
The recommended airports are:
- John Wayne Orange County Airport (SNA)
- Long Beach Airport (LGB)
- Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)
- Ontario International Airport (ONT)
- Where should I park?
We will share this information in early fall.
- What can I do to pre-plan for my time in Anaheim at The NAMM Show?
We will share this information in early fall.
- Can I register and purchase a GenNext badge onsite?
Yes. You are still able to purchase a badge onsite. The on-site registration fee after the deadline is $50.
- I still have questions. Who should I contact?
Founded in 2006, The NAMM Foundation represents the generosity and philanthropy of the music products industry. Its mission is to advance active participation in music making across the lifespan by supporting scientific research, philanthropic giving and public service programs.