About SupportMusic Coalition on Coalitions
The Coalition on Coalitions (CoCs) is a working group within the NAMM Foundation’s SupportMusic Coalition that supports NAMM members and their networks working on state-level music and arts education advocacy efforts. As a network of advocates, the CoCs provides tactics, resources and best practices to move and improve state-level policies, funding and advocacy for music and arts education. Toward this objective, NAMM has partnered with Americans for the Arts and the National Association for Music Education, to inform and connect NAMM Members with arts advocacy organizations in their states and to expand state and local advocacy effectiveness.
Interested in becoming more involved? Start by filling out this form.
Coalition on Coalitions NAMM Member Resources
Coalition on Coalitions Dashboard, The CoCs dashboard on NAMM.org, serves as a nexus of information regarding specific state-focused music education advocacy efforts. The dashboard features a thumbnail summary of action alerts, status updates, NAMM Member contacts, and state-specific resources for active state coalitions in various stages of network.
Coalition on Coalition State Advocacy Knowledge Sharing Webinar, This webinar held on February 27, 2017, featured updates and information from our national advocacy partners, National Association for Music Education and Americans for the Arts as well as peer-to-peer knowledge-sharing from NAMM Members engaged in organized advocacy efforts in 7 states. Listen and view the recorded webinar here.
Advocacy and Issue Training, Live and recorded webinars are available to connect, assist and advise NAMM members about current opportunities and ongoing state-specific efforts. Read more, here.
SupportMusic Coalition on Coalitions for Music Education Advocacy Forum at The 2018 NAMM Show, gathers NAMM members and music education colleagues working on state and local advocacy efforts. This gathering will review ways Title I and Title IV funds are supporting music and arts education opportunities under year one of ESSA implementation. Lunch is provided. Presented by The NAMM Foundation. Friday, January 26, 2018, 12 - 2 pm, Hilton Anaheim, Malibu, Level 4.
Coalition on Coalitions Boot Camp at The 2017 NAMM Show, This half-day workshop was held on Tuesday January 17 and provided state coalition teams with hands-on advocacy training. Listen to the audio recording from the boot camp, here.
Coalition on Coalitions Forum at The 2017 NAMM Show, This meeting was held on Friday January 20 and provided an overview of current policy opportunities on state activity featuring updates from NAMM Member state coalition leaders. Listen to the audio recording from the forum, here.
Coalition on Coalitions at 2017 Summer NAMM Recordings
- Introduction from Mary Luehrsen
- Advocacy in Action: Jeff Poulin, AFTA
- Policy Update: Michael Blakeslee, NAfME
- State Coalition Reports and Determinations
NAMM Advocacy Resources
SupportMusic Coalition, The NAMM Foundation’s SupportMusic Coalition is a public service initiative that supports music education in local communities in the U.S. This advocacy effort now unites national, state and local organizations comprised of parents, business and community leaders, and educators seeking to improve access and opportunity in music and arts learning. To learn more or to join the coalition, please visit the NAMM Foundation website's Get Involved page.
A Parent’s Guide to ESSA, A brochure that outlines how parents can advocate for expanding music and arts education opportunities as the new federal education law is implemented in each state and impacts local school districts.
Tips for Producing Your Own Music Advocacy Booklet, elements to consider when developing a music education advocacy booklet or gathering testimonials to share at state advocacy events.
Why Learn to Play Music, A brochure available in English and Spanish features up-to-date research and statistics highlighting the many benefits of music education. Available as a download for e-distribution.
Striking a Chord, NAMM Foundation Study finds that strong majorities of teachers and parents say music education is very important and should continue to be funded, and offered as part of the curriculum and the school day. A large majority of Parents and Teachers believe that children should have opportunities to learn to play musical instruments as early as elementary school and that music and arts education are “extremely” or “very important.” Download today.
Talking Up Music Education Podcast, A podcast produced by The NAMM Foundation about music education. Host Mary Luehrsen chats with teachers, parents, students and community leaders who share stories about what they are doing to create music learning opportunities and the profound value that music education has brought to their lives. Subscribe today.
National Partner Resources
Americans For The Arts (AFTA)
- State Arts Advocacy Database, A comprehensive list of state arts agencies, advocacy organizations, relevant news and expert advice.
- Advocate Hub, Stimulating Local, State and Federal Advocacy for the Arts
- Advocacy Toolkit, As a local arts organization, your organization can make a difference in conveying the impact of the arts and arts education in your communities to members of Congress. This site provides resources, links and best practice advice.
- AFTA Arts Services Directory
- New Year, New Rules for ESSA: What States Must Do in the New Year to Create Their Accountability System and Plan for ESSA Implementation
- Everything ESSA, Toolkits and implementation guides on how to navigate and understand ESSA, comprehensive legislative analysis of the bill, and regulatory and implementation policy involving the U.S. Department of Education and States.
- BroaderMinded Blog, Features the latest developments in music education advocacy news; the latest in music education policy (legislative and regulatory), as well as around the clock election and campaign updates for 2016.
- NAfME Grassroots Action Center, Visit NAfME’s Grassroots Action Center and find how you can Support Music Education in Federal Education Policy, be involved with the legislative process, and engage your members in congress.
- ESSA State Plan Template.
- List of State ESSA websites.
- State advocacy contacts: Advocacy Leadership Force.
- ESSA Resources, Most current information from national organizations, research institutes and think tanks regarding ESSA policy and resources.
- ArtScan, A searchable clearinghouse of the latest state policies supporting education in and through the arts from all 50 states and the District of Columbia. This site includes not only policy language excerpted directly from each state’s education policies but also information on state-level surveys of arts education and a set of descriptive education indicators.
- ArtsEdSearch, The nation’s first research and policy database focused entirely on student and educator outcomes associated with in-school and out-of-school arts education and implications for policy based on existing research.
- ESSA: Mapping Opportunities for the Arts