Oral History Information
Ray Stacy began working for the O.S. Kelly Company in 1978 and has a true sense of pride in the work they do in creating piano plates. Located in Springfield, Ohio, the foundry was established by Oliver Kelly in 1852 to make steam traction engines and farm equipment. They soon began making the sand cast iron plates for pianos, often called the harp. These plates need to withstand the massive tension of the strings, up to 40,000 pounds. The creation of these plates is so precise that many piano companies trusted O.S. Kelly to make their plates over the years including Aeolian, Baldwin, Wurlitzer, and Steinway. Steinway was so pleased with the foundry’s work that when it was up for sale, Steinway purchased O.S. Kelly in 1999.